The Centre d’analyse stratégique is a research-based advisory institution under the authority of the Prime Minister. Its mission is to advise the government in defining and implementing its strategic policies on economic, social, environmental and technologic matters.
Created by decree on March 6, 2006, the Centre succeeds the Commissariat général du Plan. At the Prime Minister’s request, the Centre determines the principal governmental reforms. Furthermore, the Centre leads studies and analyses of its own initiative within the framework of its annual work programme.
The Centre draws upon an eleven-member steering committee, of whom two are Members of the National Assembly, two are senators, and one is a member of the Economic, Social and Environmental Council.
The Centre works in coordination with the main advisory and research institutions reporting to the Prime Minister: Conseil d’analyse économique, Conseil d’analyse de la société, Conseil d’orientation pour l’emploi, Conseil d’orientation des retraites, Haut conseil à l’intégration.
The Centre also is to oversee and to facilitate a better integration to the European dimension in government policies by coordinating between the national and community levels, in collaboration General Secretariat for European Affairs (SGAE)
What is it working on?
The Centre d’analyse stratégique’s studies are made public in the form of written documents (policy briefs, reports and documents). Throughout the year, the CAS organizes numerous symposiums, workshops and seminars. Besides, it produces an annual report presenting the outcome of its works devoted to the main strategic challenges for French public policies.
- Vincent Chriqui, Director General
- Hervé Monange, Director General
- Didier Millot, Secretary General
The Centre d’analyse stratégique is divided into four departments by sector:
- The Department for Economic and Financial Affairs, headed by Jean-Paul Nicolaï
- The Department of Sustainable Development, headed by Dominique Auverlot
- The Department of Labour and Employment, headed by Véronique Deprez-Boudier
- The Department of Social Affairs,
The Centre also includes the Centre for Prospective Studies and International Information (CEPII).
Communication and management of the websites are carried out by Jean-Michel Roullé.
The strategic intelligence unit supports each of the 4 departments. It is headed by Julien Winock.
The partnerships are managed and driven by Pierre Bollinger.
The Recorder General coordinates the Centre’s editorial and monitoring activities.
Inter-departmental functions are carried out by the Secretary General.
The Steering Committee helps to define the Centre d’analyse stratégique’s annual programme. It meets at least twice a year.
The Steering Committee consists of:
- The appointed Chairman of the Conseil d’analyse économique (Economic Analysis Council): Christian de BOISSIEU
- The appointed Chairman of the Conseil d’analyse de la société (Society Analysis Council): Luc FERRY
- The appointed Chairman of the Conseil de l’emploi, des revenus et de la cohésion sociale (Employment, Revenue and Social Cohesion Council) : Jacques DELORS
- The chairman of the Conseil d’orientation des retraites (Pensions Advisory Council): Raphaël HADAS-LEBEL
- The chairman of the Conseil d’orientation pour l’emploi (Employment Advisory Council): Marie-Claire CARRERE-GEE
- The chairman of the Haut Conseil à l’intégration (High Council for Integration): Patrick GAUBERT
- Secretary General of European Affairs: Gilles BRIATTA
- Interministerial delegate for town and country planning: Pierre DARTOUT
- Two Members of National Assembly: Hervé MARITON and Jean-Marc AYRAULT and two Senators: Francis GRIGNON et François MARC, appointed by the president of each Assembly for the duration of their term of office.
- A member of the Conseil économique et social (Economic and social Council) appointed by the council’s chairman for the duration of his term of office: Antoine DULIN.